Ask Me Anything #2
When you first went out, was it fully dressed or did you add more over time?
I don't remember the exact date of the first time I went out in public. I think it was sometime during 1991 or 1992. It was an exciting time for me as I had recently met several local crossdressers. For the first time in my life, I was sharing my crossdressing with someone other than my wife. I learned that there were regular monthly local meetings open for anyone CD, TG, or TS. I attended the first several meetings in drab (dressed as a boy).
Even though my wife knew about my crossdressing, there was no way I could change for any of the meetings we had young children at home. Fortunately, one of the crossdressers I had met said that I could change at his house. He went out quite regularly in public sometimes accompanied by his wife. He told me that he and his wife were going out to dinner before the next meeting and I should join them.
I don't remember too much about that night. I was so excited it seemed like there were gallons of adrenaline flow around inside of me.
Of course, I wanted to "pass" if possible. And if I couldn't, I didn't want to embarrass my friend and his wife. I decided on the "professional businesswoman" look for my first excursion in public. The first women's suit I bought had a black skirt, pants, and blazer. I think I bought it from Lane Bryant. When I first started thinking about possibly going out in public, I was worried that it would be difficult to find any women's clothes that would fit me. I had taken my measurements and checked the sizing in the LB catalog. It looked like they had something that would fit me! I quickly wrote up my order and mailed it in with a check. These were the days before the Internet and on-line shopping. Everything was done by mail. When I received my order and tried it on, I was very happy because it fit me perfectly! For my first excursion in public, this was the outfit I wore. Here is a photo of me taken about the time of my first public outing.
![]() |
| Ready to go! |
The Professional Businesswoman
Looking back on my first time going out in public, I did not feel like a man in a dress. I felt very much like a woman. I wanted to appear as a professional businesswoman and I think achieved that goal. I remember my friend's wife telling me that she was surprised at how comfortable I looked and how easily I moved and acted as a woman. In other words, my movement and actions would signal to everyone that I was a woman out to dinner with friends. I truly FELT like a woman going out to dinner. Going out that night was made extra special because the people at the restaurant treated me like a woman.
I don’t remember too much about the dinner or going to the meeting afterwards. The evening was over too quickly.
I have been out in public many times since then. I never had to "add more". I always dressed appropriately for the event or outing. I try to blend in as much as possible. I've never received any bad or rude comments.
My first time out in public as a woman was a watershed moment for me. However, it caused a lot of problems for my marriage. My wife was adamant that I wouldn't go out in public dressed as a woman to which I agreed to in order to keep the peace between us. Instead of working through the problems I was causing, I decided not to tell her anything. Sadly, I became an excellent liar, something I am not very proud of...


My first times out in public were last August at the Gender Odyssey conference in Seattle. I initially thought I’d gradually step up my game as I gained a level of confidence. But shortly before the first day I threw caution to the wind and dressed completely from head to toe. Like you, I loved it! Scared yes, as I drove, parked, and walked through the convention center. But liberated too. About a month later I started dressing full time and haven’t looked back. A couple of weeks ago I donated all of my male clothes to charity...
ReplyDeleteI also faced a lot of challenges with my wife. We were married for 20 years, always very close, but I was simply unable to stem the tide of my depression and gender dysphoria without even minimal amounts of clothing that she would run across. I also felt guilty but my shame won out so I kept up the deception. These days the shame is gone, the guilt has faded, and indeed, we decided to end our marriage although we remain close.
Thank you for your comment! I, too, was married for 20 years... about 20 years ago... My relationship with my wife before and after divorce will be in future posts.
DeleteTransgender conferences are excellent for the "first timer", especially if they are local.
I started small, like most of us do, wearing a bra and panties under my clothes, and hiding painted toenails in a pair of socks. My first time out fully dressed was at a travelling transgender event that just happened to be held in my hometown that year. It was glorious. We went sightseeing, shopping, our for dinner, and more, just a bunch of girls that nobody looked at twice. I remember a comical moment of indecision as we debated what washroom to use at one stop, but no real nerves or fear.
ReplyDeleteNowadays I get out regularly, either with my wife or friends, and it no longer feels like an event . . . more just me being me. Having a wife who supports me makes all the difference, and she's really helped me to refine my wardrobe and makeup skills. We can happily go out for dinner together, and neither one of use feels at all awkward.
Thank you for your comment! You are fortunate to have a supportive wife!
DeleteI, too, have found that being in public, nobody looks twice. It used to be teens that would "catch" us but today they are all into there phones and social media...